Rite Move’s packing advice includes fundamental strategies anyone with an upcoming move in New Jersey should know to ensure safer, more efficient packing. From using the right boxes to wrapping breakables, use these tips from Rite Move on your next relocation.
Tips for packing boxes
- Use double-wall, corrugated cardboard boxes for better protection.
- Use small boxes for heavier items, like books.
- Use large boxes for light items, like pillows.
- In mixed boxes, put heavier items on the bottom and lighter items on top.
- Fill empty spaces with packing materials so loose items don’t shift.
- If the box bulges on the top or sides, remove items and repack it until the bulges disappear.
- If the box bends inward, add more items and/or packing paper to fill the empty space.
- Keep all boxes under 50 pounds to avoid back injuries.
- Label each box with its contents and where it will go in your new house to make unloading faster.
- Use original boxes for your electronics and appliances if they’re still available, or purchase specialty kits for items like big-screen televisions and computers.
- Use specialty boxes to make packing easier for items such as dishes, clothes and mattresses.
- If you’re doing the move yourself, load heavier boxes toward the front of the truck.
Tips for wrapping
- Protect fragile items with packing paper or bubble wrap.
- Don’t use old newspapers for wrapping, because it could transfer ink and permanently stain certain materials.
- Set up a packing station on a flat, clean surface to make wrapping easier and ensure even coverage.
- Pack delicate, flat items like dishware and vinyl records vertically instead of horizontally to prevent cracks.
- Wrap items separately to ensure proper cushioning.
- Bundle individually wrapped items together for more security.
- Stuff packing paper in hollow items like glassware and vases for further cushioning.
- Wrap the stems of stemware in bubble wrap first, then wrap the entire glass with packing paper or more bubble wrap.
- Tape packing paper or bubble wrap in place to keep items tightly wrapped.
General packing advice
- Start packing as early as possible to reduce stress.
- Pack seldom-used or decorative items right away.
- Consider donating or selling items you haven’t used in six months or more.
- Pack items in luggage or storage containers.
- Don’t pack items inside furniture, because it could make the furniture too heavy or items could shift and get damaged during the move.
- Save time and confusion while unpacking by packing items from the same room together.
- Pack a personal overnight bag with items you need right away.
- Never pack anything on the “do not pack” list.
If you don’t feel like packing yourself or simply don’t have the time, Rite Move is a full-service moving company. We can professionally pack your belongings, including fragile heirlooms and large items like pool tables.